Wednesday, 12 November 2014

"Moria… You fear to go into those mines."

 “Fool of a Took!" he growled. "This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance.” 
― J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring

I make no attempt to hid the fact that the Fellowship of the Ring is my favourite book/film of the three and one of the most iconic scenes for me is the journey through the mines in particular the fight in Balin's tomb. I think the drums echoing in the deep 
just as you think Pippin knocking the skeleton down the well hasn't attracted any attention is brilliant, It heralds the first big fight scene and it doesn't disappoint. The subsequent flight along Durin's causeway and Gandalf's Balrog block is some of PJ's best work in my opinion.

This scene of course would be incomplete without the Goblins of Moria and what self respecting wargamer doesn't have a handful of these little terrors laying around, myself I've got 36, small change to some people but enough for me.

Especially when 24 of them still aren't painted!

I love the style of these Goblins far more than the Goblin town Goblins from the Hobbit, yes I know they're from different areas and yest I know they might look quite similar without the armour but you can't beat the original in my eyes.

Any comments/critique or suggestions welcome as always