Tuesday, 4 November 2014

'Out of the frying pan and into the fire'

The last few days I've been showcasing some of my completed models, Well I've been adding models to my collection for the last year or so and I'd been quite unaware of the exact scale of those additions. I buy them, I assemble them, they get placed in the case(s) until such time as I get round to painting them but I wanted to get them all out so I can see just what I've got and work out what I'd like to get next (and just how much I need to paint)!

This is my collection of good models, It's not complete, I already know that Father Christmas has some to add to the pile later this year, but this is it as of the 5th of November!

I have most of the metal models I want now, only things I'm particularly lacking are Cirdan, Gildor, Eowyn and Theoden on horseback and Gandalf the grey on horseback (I'm holding out for a new hobbit one).

What you can see in the close ups is
my elf army, 32 high elves (pretty sure I've got more somewhere), 24 galadhrim, 24 wood elves, 6 galadhrim knights, Elrond and GilGalad, Erestor, Glorfindel armoured, Elladan and Elrohir, Glorfindel ft and mtd, Arwen ft and mtd and Arwen carrying Frodo, Armoured Celeborn, Celeborn, Galadriel, Rumil, Haldir, and 3 or 4 legolas of varying pose, It's certainly my most comprehensive collection of a single race.
one thing I am sorely lacking is Dwarves.



 And this is my collection of evil models. It's a bit smaller and that's because I've largely failed to find my inspiration for the evil armies available which is a shame.

I've got a predominance of Isenguard (who doesn't) and plenty of Moria Goblins, I think what I really lack is cavalry and big monsters.

I'm looking at working on an Angmar force, I've squirreled away some barrow wights and some dead marsh specters and as you will see further down I've now got some fell 
wargs to throw in to the mix, If anyone has some suggestions on what models to add for a non-shade angmar list I'd be happy to hear them.

Now I'm not a big fan of many (if any?!) of the named wring wraiths, I really liked the faceless face of evil that they were in the books and the films so I don't own any, I do however have the nine on foot (with some repeats) and 3 on horseback, the middle one is possibly my favourite evil model I own, Certainly up there with Sauron.

I'd like to grab shelob and a few other bits and pieces but evil, for me at least, takes a back seat
And this is my (small) collection of 'much that was once is lost', 'Much' of course means money, I mentioned already that I tend to buy and build as soon as I've got in the house but I'm trying to be a bit more disciplined and only open stuff when I intend to paint it, this is that one small step, a box of fell wargs, a box of knights of gondor and an original bilbo.





By the end of the year I'd have liked to have completed a few more models, I want to paint some of my Elven heroes but the temptation is to just dive straight in to them and then never finish any more bog standard figures. I think I'm going to work on the Galadhrim that I have once the wood elves are completed, at least the archers and Haldir would be a start and then I'll be looking at Gondor, I've begun to amass a small collection of them and I'm really becoming enamoured not only by their sculpts but also how good they are to play with, and I don't really like playing with unpainted models so they'll definitely be featuring soon.