Monday, 10 November 2014

"Sam, we're still in the Shire! What could possibly happen?"

“He used often to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary. 'It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,' he used to say. 'You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.” 
― J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring

Whilst I work on my Galadhrim It's time to show off a few more of my collection, today it's the hobbits turn.
 And where better to start than with the two ring bearers?
I paint all of my heroes with individual palettes and mixes of colour meaning no two greys are the same.
I loved painting the hobbits especially for this reason, they're still in their very colourful clothes from the Shire, except Frodo, his are muted (perhaps chosen to represent the burden he carried even from the outset) and I think some of Tolkien's best work is in his telling of the journey from Bag End to Bree.
If you look very closely at Sting you can see a very subtle glaze of pale blue, danger is close!

Sam was the second to be painted, the blue of his jacket is the first real splash of more vibrant colour and I like how well it contrasts with the grey of his travelling cloak and trousers and the beige bag.

I love the sculpting work that goes in to Sam, right down to the pots and pans on his pack, Sam always was the workhorse of the group.
I was disappointed that Peter Jackson changed the start of the journey, in the books I felt that the four hobbits had a much closer relationship than is portrayed, I can see that PJ wanted to create a bit more suspense (The book is a slow starter) but somethings are there for a reason!
Tomorrow I'll give you some close ups of the remaining two.

As usual if you have any comments/critique or suggests let me hear it.