Thursday, 6 November 2014

"The days have come down in the west, behind the hills... Into shadow."

 "Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain... Like wind in the meadow. The days have come down in the west, behind the hills... Into shadow."—Théoden to Gamling at Helm's Deep






I've been painting King Theoden on commission the last couple of evenings and I'll say that I found this one difficult to really get in to.
The face and hair was a breeze, it's well sculpted and the character, as based on Bernard Hill, is certainly well represented but I just found it a bit too busy. I guess it's as it should be, he is the king after all and the armour is well sculpted in line (as much as is possible in this scale) with the film. I'm also disappointed that much of the subtle highlights in places like the beard and face don't show up very well, time to buy a portable light box?

I think the imagery of Theoden is genius, Tolkien really gives me the sense of great kings of ancient Briton largely impotent, unable to prevent the barbarians nibbling at the boarders of a kingdom made great by long dead men.

Hill's acting certainly does Tolkiens vision justice, especially as the King reborn, reclaiming much that was once lost and atoning for allowing his rule to be subverted by the machinations of Grima and his masters.

What do you think about Theoden?