Wednesday, 19 November 2014

When Film Adaptations Go Right...


I'm not a fan of directors altering the story when not absolutely necessary (Harry Potter being a perfect example, I still haven't watched any of the later films!). Personally I was disappointed by Peter Jackson's omissions from The Fellowship of the Ring. Having said that I think the addition of Haldir and his elves, the Galadhrim, at Helms Deep helped make The Two Towers (film) my favourite of any of Peter Jackson's adaptations, it certainly helps that elves are my preferred race of middle earth.

A week and a half ago I made a start on another 12 of my Galadhrim. I'd previously painted four of the spearmen and on the left you can see a comparison of the old (left) and new (right). I think the new paint scheme is vastly improved, there's a lot more depth to the colours and a lot more definition between the armour plates and scales. The one downside is that it takes a lot longer.

I don't know about anyone else but I like to chop and change what I'm doing and I get a bit bored if anything takes longer than a week, to complete so I think 12 was a bit optimistic, of course now I still have 12 to do because the old ones are noticeably different to the new ones! oh well, I'll repaint and 4 spearmen and get the bowmen done at some point I'm sure!

Now a question, I currently don't have shields on any of them, what's your opinion on Galadhrim and shields? should I leave them at home and if not who should I equip with them, the swordsmen or spearmen?

Please comment below.