Friday, 29 May 2015

Showcase - Elrond And Gil-galad


Yay! It's a Lord of the Rings post, it's been a while hasn't it! As I mentioned in my last post I've been working on five of my Elvish heroes over the last couple of weeks. Having had a little bit of time off work for exams this week I've not only found time to revise professional ethics but also to paint Elrond and Gil-galad.

I like these old FotR models, they have such great character and detail in the faces. With Elrond I went a gritty, fires of mount doom, midst of battle look with deep, exaggerated features and a wide-eyed look which the sculpting demands. With Gil-galad I tried to achieve a more passive look, of someone who knows they aren't going to see out the day, again something which the sculpting lends itself too.

If I were to change anything it'd be the green on Elrond, it's too bright whereas the green on Gil-galad is perfect in my view. things I'm please with are the freehand work on Gil-galad and the gold armour.

anyway here's some more photos;







Still on the table is Erestor, and Glorfindel and Celeborn in armour, I've also got myself a box of eagles, Thranduil and 2 bat swarms winging their way to me hopefully for tomorrow so I need to get cracking, that mountain of unpainted lead is not getting smaller!